Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Budget is not my middle name

Today wasn't quite as eventful as yesterday but it was a good one, though.

When my "early" alarm went off this morning, I COULD NOT get out of bed (even after going to bed quite early the night before). I took that as a sign that my body needed the extra hour or so of sleep. ;)

I made it through the day at work. In fact, the day was quite productive and went by a decent pace. Speaking of work, I do have some news to share. We finally posted a new marketing position online, which means.... I will not have to work so much this next year and that I will have some major help this season. Woooo hooo! I'm excited to be able to be more of a coach's wife and actully attend WC football games.

After work, I came home to make a very detailed grocery list. I planned out meals for 7 days and wrote down all the ingredients for the meals plus those for some yummy lunches and breakfasts. I made a budget in my head and headed to the store. As I went I calculated how much I putting in my cart. It was exhausting and once I reached my budget, I quit keeping track. Apparently, my budget was NOT realistic. Boo. I don't think I'll add everything up next time I go to the store unless Alan goes with me. Too much for one person!

For dinner, day #1 of my meal list, I made spicy chicken stir fry and egg rolls (I actually cheated and just bought these to throw in the oven.) Recipe courtesy of and Sam at Faith, Food and Fitness

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into 2-inch pieces (see Variation)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 16-ounce package frozen bell pepper and onion mix

Preparation:

1.Combine sugar, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.

2.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pepper-and-onion mix and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the spice-rubbed chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve hot. Variation: Make Stir-Fried Spicy Beef by using 1 pound of stir-fry beef or thinly sliced top round steak instead of chicken in this dish.



I thought it was pretty average, but still good. Definitely, cured my chinese craving and saved me hundreds of cals! Good thing since I didn't hit the gym today.

Well, I'm off to go snuggle with the hubs and this little guy.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment